Easy Dinner Recipe Of The Week ~ Potato - Crust Quiche Lorraine Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter, divided by half
- 1 bag hash brown potatoes, thawed (1 pound 4 ounces works perfectly.)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 heaping Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush a cast-iron skillet or pie pan with 2 tablespoons melted butter. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and mustard. Press the mixture into the skillet, making sure the bottom has no gaps and the height is level all the way around. Pour the remaining butter evenly over the top. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook bacon briefly, about 3 minutes. Add onion, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook until softened, stirring frequently, for about 13 minutes.
- In another large bowl, whisk eggs and half and half until smooth. Add the bacon mixture to a large bowl and stir quickly to combine.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Continue baking until browned and bubbling, about 15 more minutes. Serve warm.