Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Optional: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, plain Greek yogurt and chopped fresh
- Cook the turkey, pepper, onion and spices in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Stir in beans; heat through.
- Spread 1 cup meat mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with 4 tortillas. Spread with half the remaining meat mixture; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings.
Freeze Option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Pr°eheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. If desired, serve with toppings.
1 piece: 313 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 starch.