This cozy and comforting Bacon Cheeseburger Soup is perfect for warming up inside on cold winter evenings around the table with family. Serve this delicious soup with a side of cheese toast, perfect for dipping into this hearty meal.
Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- ½ pound thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a medium Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot.
- Add ground chuck, onion, garlic, and steak seasoning; cook, stirring frequently, until browned and crumbly, about 8 minutes. Remove beef mixture using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving ½ cup drippings in pot.
- Stir flour into drippings in pot, and cook until bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth. Stir in beef mixture, milk, tomatoes, cheese, relish, and Worcestershire, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in bacon, and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: For quick cheese toast, sprinkle sandwich bread, hamburger buns, or hot dogs buns with shredded cheese, and broil just until melted.